Thursday, February 2, 2012

Plans & Kites

Sooo.. about making plans.  As I mentioned I´m learning in Venezuela to make less plans =)
I´ve been able to just go with the flow a bit here and it´s been kinda adventurous and fun.  The 8 week program has now finished and the group has dismanteled a bit. We spent our last weekend together by visiting an Island about 3hrs away (by ferry) called Margarita Island.  It´s a popular vacation destination for Venezuelans, so the weekend packed the beaches out with Venezuelans.  We are staying in El Yaque which is considered the safest beach on the island.  Full of Europeans kite surfing.  We met some of the top Kite Surfers in the world which has been cool. We were scheduled to leave Sunday, however... Steph and I, who were both a bit enamored with the whole sport of Kite Surfing started dreaming of staying for a week to learn how to do it! Soo.. when you don´t have plans that are set in stone.. you can do things like that. So, we ´lived the dream´ =) and stayed on a week here in Margarite just the two of us. 
Kite Surfing is much dependent on the weather, so with 2 days of not great winds... our level hasn´t advanced very quickly.  But our tans are finally filling back in, and I believe our shorts tans from hiking are disappearing.. bonuus.  Being here has definately wet my appetite to keep trying if I get the chance again. So now when someone asks what I did in Venezuela, my answer will be.. ´I learned to fly a kite!¨ =)
We will leave Margarita today, spend a couple days back at Jakera Camp before heading off to my final destination which is a city called Merida.  I had considered moving on to Peru with Laura, but the time was going to be more than I could afford this time around, and the cost was creeping up too. Soo, Merida! is a more mountainous area in Venezuela, and one of the last main destinations one must visit while here.  I think I will feel like I´ve really seen most of Venezuela after getting to the East side of the country.  We´ve covered quite a lot of ground.  About 4 people from the group have gone on to Merida already for their final month of Volunteer work with the program. I think I will be able to get in on the Spanish classes while I´m there, and likely do some adventuring with Steph. Apparently there is lots to do and see.
Anyway, it´s 11 am here and the beach is calling. Just a few hours left here in Margarita.
Trusting you all are well, and look forward to seeing you soon!
A.

No comments:

Post a Comment