Monday, February 6, 2012

Bus it to Merida

22hrs has brought us safely here to Merida, Venezuela.  Caught a bus yesterday after saying some difficult goodbyes around the camp this week with the 8 week program being at it´s completion.  I think I learned from these 2 months that I don´t shift well.. as in, going from place to place then having to leave everybody is not so easy after so long together. I will miss you all.
I think I mentioned Merida being in the mountains before, on the other side of the country.  I only have a few days here before heading home, which I´m quite ready for. Still enjoying my time but my mind is already starting to prep for my next journey and looking forward to some needed downtime at home.
Tomorrow will bring.. oh just some hang gliding.. nothing major. Here they call it paragliding, which I´m pretty sure is the same as hang gliding. New for me anyway. Have never had the chance before, and apparently it´s the thing to do here.  May get to do some Zipline ¨Canyoning¨ too, or maybe some biking around the area.  Plans for the rest of the days are not yet made.  Spanish classes continue. Although please don´t be disappointed when I get home and don´t really know all the much... We´ve had lots of time between our classes.. as in I don´t think I´ve had a class the last 2 weeks so feel like I´ve forgotten lots already.  We are getting to practice a bit more here in Merida seeing as we´re out and about in the city a bit more on own now. 
A few from the group are here doing volunteer work, so it´s good to hook up again.  Most of them are busy with that, so Steph and I, who are the only free ones, will do some of the sporty adventure stuff in the mornings at least. 
Anyhow, 22hrs in a bus actually flew by. Had lots to think about, leaving Playa Colorada and all.  And, it was good to start the bus ride out with a lack of sleep cause I was actually able to sleep on the bus, so no complaints there.
Sorry for my English.. it´s been corrupted by these Europeans =)  I look forward to speaking Canadian when I get home again!
Just a brief entry for tonight.  Things are cheaper here in Merida.  25bs for a taxi that would be 50bs in playa.  (divide by 8 for USD) Food too is quite a bit cheaper. And the exchange rate we get here is better too.  Just how it goes I guess. 
The posada (hostel-hotel) here has a HOT shower. We´re pretty excited after basically 2 months.  We had one encounter with warm temperamental showers in Santa Elena after the Roraima hike but nothing like this. Is half-an-hour too long for a shower? Not in this case..  Cheers to hot showers. Cheers to paragliding en la  menaña. 

No comments:

Post a Comment