Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Roraima

Soo.. to decision has been made to do the Roraima trip.  It was a tough decision because I was scheduled to leave Venezuela on Sat and join my fam in Mexico for a week during that time, which I´m sad to give up.
Roraima is one of the famous Tapui mountains here in Venezuela.  They are planning to close it in a year (for about 10 years) to let it return to it´s natural state. We are indiginous Pemon people land now and have been for a day or two.  They are very different than the last indigious group we visited.  They are clean, creative, and kind people.  We will leave our extra stuff with a family here while we do the 6 or 7 day hike up Roraima.
We have a new girl from Switzerland, Leila, that joined our group, and one member who left at the 5 week mark, Anders from Sweden. So we are still 9. We are all pretty pumped as Roraima is supposed to be the highlight of the whole 8 weeks. Apparently the best til last. 
Wish I could post pics today (but I cannot) as I´ve been having fun with my big camera on this trip. 
I sleep deprivation is never a great way to start a hike tho. We have such early morning departures (2Ñ30 Sun, 4Ñ30 Mon, 6Ñ today...)  Hope tonight is restful. It should be as we´re already set up in camp. 
Pulled pork and arepas continues to be a favorite food.  Too bad for Leila who thought she was eating beef yesterday.. when really.. she had cow´s tongue at 6 am for breakfast in her arepa ... yaya... hilarious for the rest of us when she found out =) Arepa is the national dish, and we eat a lot of it. I may have mentioned that arleady.   Much like nshima in Zambia, however slightly more creatively prepared.
Thanks for following! Thanks for all your prayers for safety, etc!
See you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment